How many Heroic Actions per Week (H.A.W.) must you accomplish at work in order for your organization to succeed?
Actions of heroes include:
1. A 12+ hour day
2. Averting a crisis with a customer through extraordinary measures
3. Over-working a project because no one knew what “great” looked like at the start
4. Spending hours preparing a short presentation for demanding bosses (who can’t make things simple)
5. Negotiating conflict between parties you need to function as “one team”
6. Building a “new” solution that already exists elsewhere within the organization (but you never knew)
What your H.A.W. score tells you:
<0.5 = you likely function on a high performing team and have productive systems
0.6 to 1.0 = Opportunities to develop efficiencies should be addressed soon
1.1 to 1.5 = Strengthen your culture: It may subtly ‘crave a crisis’ just so heroes can be made
1.6 to 2.0 = You’re at high risk of quality, scale and employee engagement disasters.
>2.1 = Superheroes only live in comic books and movies; you must change soon – or something will be changed for you.