These are the qualities we were told were required for success:
- Specialized skills
- Work ethic
- Strong communicator
So, we diligently applied ourselves, demonstrated those traits, and succeeded. But now, nearly everyone around you is doing the above. Which means there’s a new list of qualities that differentiates the successful professional:
- You care about your colleagues, including the ones with whom you disagree
- You have a healthy and fulfilling life outside of work
- You can empathize with others and adapt your approach
- You are focused, disciplined and centered
- You are amazed by how much you have yet to learn
There are people around you who keep working the top list. Their frustrations mount: They can’t understand why they’re not going anywhere.
The professional who increasingly matters, however, is the one who does things that matter.
Which list are you on?