Imagine you had a crystal ball and, looking into it, you could see the levels of aligned collaboration across your organization next year.
You may not have a crystal ball, but you can make some predictions about how effectively colleagues will work together by examining how leaders established their 2021 budgets.
What the budget-setting process looks like in non-collaborative organizations:
- How much money can I secure for my team so we can do everything we want to do?
- The more money I have, the safer I’ll be.
- Money is like the stars on a general’s collar: The more I have the more powerful I am.
What the budget-setting process looks like in aligned and collaborative organizations:
- How much money does my team need to contribute the right value to the organization?
- Do our budgets reflect our strategic priorities?
- My budget reflects a portion of how our team drives value to the customer. How we create greater efficiencies also determines how valuable we are to the organization.
Worth discussing with your team: Will the budget setting exercise we’re doing now germinate into the alignment and collaboration we’ll need to succeed tomorrow?