A team we’ve started to support is crushing their targets. Yet, you’d never know it: One person stated, “We could stand to have some more fun. We act like we’re getting a root canal.”
But what’s fun?
Fun can mean:
- Increasing productivity
- Celebrating successes
- Pushing ourselves harder
- Being on purpose
- Participating in a mindless activity
- Doing something meaningful
- Connecting with others (richer meetings)
- Getting away from others (fewer meetings)
- Doing something you didn’t think you could do
- Doing something you never wanted to do
Most of us want to have more fun. Asking “What would we consider to be fun right now?” is a good place to start.
P.S. One day my dad, a farmer, came into the house sweating, dirty, and with a scowl on his face. I had always wondered why he was always so committed to labor that paid such small and risky returns. So, I said, “Dad. You don’t look like you’re having much fun.”
“Huh,” he answered. “What makes you think that?”